Please Note: This event has expired.
Focus on the mystery of how nothing becomes something in the art making process
2nd Friday Art Walk Receptions:
* August 10 • 5–8pm
* September 14 • 5–8pm
Exhibit dates: August 3 – September 14
Curators Theodora Mauro and Tracy Wheeler, co-directors of the alternative gallery space SATELLITE OF. LOVE, focus on the mystery of how nothing becomes something in the art making process, balancing in part on an artist’s ability to veer from an original concept towards what’s calling to be made.
Artists Windy Chien, Sydney Cohen, Randy Colosky, Amos Goldbaum, Mary Anne Kluth, Patricia Lyons Stroud, each passionately embrace the vertigo of not knowing in order to make work that teaches them, piece by piece, about what they’re after.
- Chien considers how to create a line that asks one to contemplate control
- Cohen lives to impart a deep wisdom about color
- Colosky explores the tension inherent in our cultural expectations of particular materials
- Goldbaum digs into how human endeavor impacts purpose and place
- Kluth investigates the nature of reality in the context of landscapes.
- Stroud makes a plea for softness and touch
Taken together, the artworks in Veer featured at Art Works Downtown in San Rafael, offer evidence that allowing oneself to move abruptly away from preconceived goals and expectations can lead to glorious new directions. That said, having an idea to start with, isn’t always such a bad idea.
1337 Fourth Street, San Rafael, CA 94901