Notice of Temporary Closure
Please note, this event has expired.
Temporary closure of Point Reyes Books – plus online options
We’ve made the decision to close to the public starting Monday, March 16 through the end of the month, at which point we’ll re-evaluate based on how the measures taken against the spread of COVID-19 are progressing and word from our local and state government.
This was a very difficult decision to make, as it means a significant loss of revenue and loss of a community space in an anxious time. But we feel we must do our part to keep people safe, and to reduce the spread of the virus and resulting overwhelm of our medical system. These are unprecedented times that require unprecedented acts of solidarity and care.
Although the store will be closed to the public, we are still selling books.
We plan on staffing the store most days between 10-2, and are accepting prepaid phone or online orders for pick-up. Of course, this situation is fluid and changing daily, so we will offer updates as necessary. We’re figuring this out as we go, so any advice, recommendations, or requests are appreciated.
In the coming weeks, we hope you find ways to support all your local small businesses and those in your community who are hit the hardest by these necessary safety measures. The long term economic effects of this slowdown are going to hit many small businesses especially hard.
Here are some easy ways to do support the bookstore:
- Become a member of our Community Supported Bookstore program, which essentially gives you a tab at the bookstore to use for future purchases (and gives us cash on hand.) Membership benefits include a discount, advance event registration, and more.
- Buy a gift certificate for use when we reopen.
- Order books from our online store or by calling the store at 415-663-1542. We are offering .99 cent media mail shipping and will continue sending orders out unless told otherwise. We can also process orders and hold books for you until we’re back up and running.
- We are offering free delivery to locals. Call or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information on that option.
- Purchase digital audiobooks: through our partnership with Libro.fm, we receive a percentage of every sale through an affiliate link. Visit https://libro.fm/ptreyesbooks for more information.
- Connect with us on social media: we’re on Instagram (@pointreyesbooks), Facebook, and Twitter, and will be sharing virtual offerings in the coming weeks, including a poem-a-day video series on Instagram; author talks, including one with Terry Tempest Williams; and more.
Most importantly, we want everyone to look out for each other in these unsettling times. We’ll get through this together, so please remember that social distancing is physical only, but that a moratorium on in-person gatherings provides opportunities for other avenues of connection.
We are so grateful for all amazing outpouring of support we’ve received in the days since we announced the temporary closure, as online orders have some streaming in. Thank you all.
In solidarity and with good health to all.
11315 State Route 1, Point Reyes Station, CA 94956